Tho the solutions wasnt very brilliant:

i rebuilt a GENERIC kernel ( but not any modules ) and installed that instead
of my custom kernel that had alot of compiler optimizations turned on.

What's interesting is that i left  -mpentiumpro enabled (by accident, because
i had it turned on in the global make.mk or whatever) and this didnt cause any
problems, so it seems that the rogue bit was that i compiled my custom kernel with
-O2 instead of -O, and that caused ld to fail in a strange way.

weird.

oh well.