My answers are inline.

-Jan

rights.

-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion of the Rotor Shared Source CLI implementation
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Albert Miranda
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 1:36 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [DOTNET-ROTOR] Identifying References within the EE Stack

We're working in a project related to GC in SSCLI. Right now we need to
identify which data in the stack are references and which are not. We've
been following the GC's work, as it goes from CNameSpace::GcScanRoots,
passing through StackWalkFramesEx to Frame::GcScanRoots and finally into
MetaSig::GcScanRoots.

We believe we've reached the point where a reference is identified and
therefore will be marked. Our question is: are we right about this?

>> jkotas: Yes.

and if so which 'case' of the switch must be look at if we want to
identify all the references to GCHeap within a Thread's stack?

>> jkotas: All cases of the switch statement are necessary to identify
references to GCHeap within Thread's stack.

Finally, if we scan through all Threads copying all these references to
an
auxiliar structure, will we have all the references needed to locate all
dead objects within the GCHeap?

>> jkotas: You should include roots in handle table as well - check
calls to CNameSpace::GcScanHandles in gcsmp.cpp. Depending on what you
are exactly doing, you may also need to take into account finalization
queue - check calls to finalize_queue->GcScanRoots in gcsmp.cpp.

Thank you very much for your patience.

RSVP

===================================
This list is hosted by DevelopMentor(r)  http://www.develop.com
NEW! ASP.NET courses you may be interested in:

2 Days of ASP.NET, 29 Sept 2003, in Redmond
http://www.develop.com/courses/2daspdotnet

Guerrilla ASP.NET, 13 Oct 2003, in Boston
http://www.develop.com/courses/gaspdotnet

View archives and manage your subscription(s) at
http://discuss.develop.com

This list is hosted by DevelopMentorŪ  http://www.develop.com