When FJIT generates the code for a call, FJIT appears
to check whether the method has a value-type return
value and if so checks to see which portions of the
value type contain references (FJIT.cpp::2520 =>
jitInfo->getClassGClayout(sigInfo->retTypeClass,gcInfo)).
FJIT then appears to use the contents of gcInfo to
determine which parts of the return buffer to zero out
so that the GC won't believe there is a valid reference
there.  My question is, why not just zero out the whole
return buffer and save the work of determining where the
pointers are?  If for some reason I wanted to skip
checking the location of the pointers and zero out the
whole return buffer would this cause any correctness
problems or is it purely a performance issue?

thanks,

Todd

This list is hosted by DevelopMentorŪ  http://www.develop.com
NEW! ASP.NET courses you may be interested in:

2 Days of ASP.NET, 29 Sept 2003, in Redmond
http://www.develop.com/courses/2daspdotnet

Guerrilla ASP.NET, 13 Oct 2003, in Boston
http://www.develop.com/courses/gaspdotnet