Hey there,

I am totally disappointed after I tried several days to get off this
problem. This happens sometimes in following case:

I am using [VS 2010 - 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel + some Hotfixes on a WIN7 System]
I have a combobox which will be filled and filtered by Usernames which are
read from a datatable -> dataview. The datatable is filled before I work in
the combobox (see fill_UserTable()).
In the beginning the combobox is empty. After I entered the first character
the dataview is filtered so the dropdownlist only shows names beginning
with this character. And the next character - new filter so the amount of
the listitems get less. It also works into the other direction (growing
amount of listitems). Here is the code which handles combobox textchanged:
    Dim dt_GlobalUser As New DataTable("dt_GlobalUser")
    Dim filteredGlobalUserView As DataView = New DataView(dt_GlobalUser)
    Dim m_userText As String = ""

    Private Sub fill_UserTable()
        'fill dt_GlobalUser, if empty
        Dim counter As Integer = dt_GlobalUser.Rows.Count
        If (counter = 0) Then
            'ToDo: only Names from a specific department
            Dim fbs As String = RegUserFBSplit()
            'filling and counting with this routine
            counter = get_RowCount(dt_GlobalUser, fbs)
        End If
    End Sub

    Private Sub cob_GlobalUser_TextChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e
As System.EventArgs) Handles cob_UserName1.TextChanged,
cob_UserName2.TextChanged
      If (sender.Equals(CType(cob_UserName1, ComboBox))) Then Call
check_COB_TextChanged(cob_UserName1)
      If (sender.Equals(CType(cob_UserName2, ComboBox))) Then Call
check_COB_TextChanged(cob_UserName2)
    End Sub

    Private Sub check_COB_TextChanged(ByRef selectedCOB As ComboBox)
        Try
            Dim i As Integer = 0
            Dim uName As String = ""
            If (m_userText <> "") Then
                If (selectedCOB.Text = "System.Data.DataRowView") Then
                    selectedCOB.Text = m_userText
                End If
            End If
            uName = selectedCOB.Text

            'in case it's not filled
            Call fill_UserTable()

             If (uName.Length > 0) Then
                filteredGlobalUserView.RowFilter = "User_Name like '" &
uName & "%'"
                filteredGlobalUserView.Sort = "User_Name ASC"
                m_userText = uName
                'after setting of datasource it calls again this routine
with selected text System.Data.DataRowView
                selectedCOB.DataSource = filteredGlobalUserView
                selectedCOB.DisplayMember = "User_Name"
                selectedCOB.ValueMember = "USER_ALIAS"
                'two comboboxes different behavior
                Select Case TabPage.Name
                    Case "tp_1"
                        selectedCOB.Text = uName
                        selectedCOB.SelectionStart = selectedCOB.Text.Length
                    Case "tp_2"
                        If (selectedCOB.Items.Count > 0) Then
                            selectedCOB.Text = uName
                            selectedCOB.SelectionStart =
selectedCOB.Text.Length
                        End If
                End Select
            Else
                filteredGlobalUserView.RowFilter = "User_Name = ''"
                filteredGlobalUserView.Sort = "User_Name ASC"
                m_userText = ""
                selectedCOB.DataSource = filteredGlobalUserView
                selectedCOB.DisplayMember = "User_Name"
                selectedCOB.ValueMember = "USER_ALIAS"
                selectedCOB.Text = ""
            End If
        Catch ex As AccessViolationException

My.Application.CRETURN.debug_print("cob_GlobalUser_TextChanged_AV_Ex",
ex.Message)
        Catch ex As System.IndexOutOfRangeException

My.Application.CRETURN.debug_print("cob_GlobalUser_TextChanged_IOR_Ex",
ex.Message)
        Catch ex As Exception

My.Application.CRETURN.debug_print("cob_GlobalUser_TextChanged_Ex",
ex.Message)
        End Try
    End Sub

I can not catch this error in the routine, it happens elsewhere.
Errormessage from the stack.trace is here:
System.AccessViolationException was not handled.
  Message=Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an
indication that other memory is corrupt.
  Source=System.Windows.Forms
  StackTrace:
       bei System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG&
msg)
       bei
System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32

dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
       bei
System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32
reason, ApplicationContext context)
       bei
System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason,
ApplicationContext context)
       bei System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(ApplicationContext context)
       bei
Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnRun()
       bei
Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.DoApplicationModel()
       bei
Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.Run(String[]

commandLine)
       bei FEAS.My.MyApplication.Main(String[] Args) in
17d14f5c-a337-4978-8281-53493378c1071.vb:Zeile 81.
       bei System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(Assembly assembly, String[]
args)
       bei System.AppDomain.nExecuteAssembly(Assembly assembly, String[]
args)
       bei System.Runtime.Hosting.ManifestRunner.Run(Boolean checkAptModel)
       bei System.Runtime.Hosting.ManifestRunner.ExecuteAsAssembly()
       bei
System.Runtime.Hosting.ApplicationActivator.CreateInstance(ActivationContext
activationContext, String[] activationCustomData)
       bei
System.Runtime.Hosting.ApplicationActivator.CreateInstance(ActivationContext
activationContext)
       bei System.Activator.CreateInstance(ActivationContext
activationContext)
       bei
Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssemblyDebugInZone()
       bei System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
       bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext
executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       bei System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
  InnerException:

Does anybody know why this happens?

Joerg

---
"DotNetDevelopment, VB.NET, C# .NET, ADO.NET, ASP.NET, XML, XML Web
Services,.NET Remoting" group.
to dotnetdevelopment+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.