> On 4 Jun 2024, at 18:56, Robert L Mathews via dovecot <dovecot@dovecot.org>
> wrote:
>
> On Jun 4, 2024, at 8:40 AM, Pete Long via dovecot <dovecot@dovecot.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'm having a bit of a time trying to get the EXPUNGED mailbox to not display
>> when any mail is moved or deleted.
>
> You should make the name start with a dot like ".EXPUNGED" to hide it from
> normal folders. See the "example configuration" at
> <https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/lazy_expunge_plugin/>, where it
> shows, for example:
>
> namespace inbox {
>  mailbox .EXPUNGED {
>  lazy_expunge = .EXPUNGED
>

>> Here is the information I think is relevant:
>
> As a tip, rather than doing this, send the output of "doveconf -n" to the
> list in the future. That way other people can see what your full
> configuration is, rather than guessing.

Thanks Robert. Here I go.

# dovecot -n
# 2.3.13 (89f716dc2): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# Pigeonhole version 0.5.13 (cdd19fe3)
# OS: Linux 5.10.0-30-amd64 x86_64 Debian 11.9
# Hostname: sulaco.fafflords.co.uk
auth_failure_delay = 6 secs
auth_master_user_separator = +
auth_username_format = %Ln
log_path = /var/log/dovecot/dovecot.log
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mail_plugins = " lazy_expunge acl"
mail_privileged_group = mail
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox .EXPUNGED {
    autoexpunge = 1 weeks
    autoexpunge_max_mails = 100000
  }
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/master-users
  driver = passwd-file
  master = yes
}
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/master-users
  driver = passwd-file
  master = yes
}
plugin {
  acl = vfile:/etc/dovecot/global-acls:cache_secs=300
  lazy_expunge = .EXPUNGED
  quota_rule = .EXPUNGED:ignore
}
protocols = " imap"
service auth {
  unix_listener auth-client {
    mode = 0600
    user = Debian-exim
  }
}
service imap-login {
  inet_listener imap {
    port = 0
  }
  inet_listener imaps {
    port = 993
    ssl = yes
  }
}
service pop3-login {
  inet_listener pop3 {
    port = 0
  }
  inet_listener pop3s {
    port = 0
  }
}
ssl_cert = </etc/letsencrypt/live/sulaco.fafflords.co.uk/fullchain.pem
ssl_key = # hidden, use -P to show it
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}

My 50-expunge.conf is now exactly as is shown at
https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/lazy_expunge_plugin/ .

After a restart of Dovecot, I see this in the logs:

Jun 05 08:12:07 imap(pete)<19761><KPYfSB8aj4dWH1ne>: Error: Mailbox Deleted
Messages: Lazy-expunge transaction failed: Mailbox Deleted Messages: UID=1
67: lazy_expunge: Couldn't open expunge mailbox: Failed to open mailbox
.EXPUNGED: Invalid mailbox name: Begins with hierarchy separator

Should I specify a different seperator for the .EXPUNGED mailbox?

https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/namespace/#hierarchy-separators

Thanks.

Pete.