When APPENDing new message files to an IMAP Maildir, Dovecot 1.0 rc27 can be configured to add ",S=size" to the filename. That allows it to be calculated with the "dirsize" quota plugin (and MTA's such as Exim).

However, Dovecot only seems to do that when the "maildir" quota plugin is specified (from "quota-maildir.c"):

                /* For newly generated filenames add ,S=size. */
                storage->save_size_in_filename = TRUE;

Shouldn't "save_size_in_filename" be included in "quota-dirsize.c", since "dirsize" is the one that actually needs "S="?

Maybe I'm missing something? Here're some relevant parts of our test config:

--
mail_location = maildir:/var/mail/%u/Maildir:INDEX=MEMORY
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks = yes

protocol imap {
mail_executable = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/rawlog /usr/local/ libexec/dovecot/imap
  mail_plugins = quota imap_quota
  imap_client_workarounds = delay-newmail outlook-idle
}

plugin {
  quota = dirsize:storage=10240
}