Hi David,
thanks for your email.

It would be nice if you have a working dovecot.m4 for sendmail that
is different from the one in the wiki. Could you please post your .m4 file?

Also, do you use the dovecot deliver LDA ? Have your chmod u+s it?

Thanks
Oliver

David Robillard wrote:
Hi,
I wonder if it posible to replace qmail + vpopmail with sendmail + dovecot?

The idea is like this:
- use sendmail + milter API to filter spam/virus and deliver the email to
 the dovevot MDA (LDA)
- dovecot should save the email to the directory as specified in the
vpopmail DB
- maintain the vpopmail BD (users + passwd)
- use dovecot pop3/imap for the clients
- use sendmail again to receive the email from the pop3/imap users and
 deliver the email to the internet as usual.

Anyone has done this? It is posible in the paper, in the real world?

Hi Oliver,

We run sendmail + dovecot on FreeBSD for around 3500 users. It runs
smooth. We also run two other FreeBSD machines with Sophos PureMessage
for Anti-SPAM and Anti-Virus cleanup which is linked via sendmail's
milter.

You're going to need Procmail to link sendmail and dovecot for local
mail delivery to the user's mbox or Maildir, which ever you prefer.
We're using Maildir here to serve both IMAP over SSL and POP3 over
SSL.

If you need any help in the setup of sendmail + procmail + dovecot,
just tell me.

Of course, if you're more experienced with Postfix, then use it. IMHO
it's not as flexible as sendmail. But YMMV.

Have fun,

David

--
Oliver Schulze L.   | Get my e-mail after a captcha in:
Asuncion - Paraguay | http://tinymailto.com/oliver