On 28/03/2007 01:46, Timo Sirainen wrote:
After v1.0 is released, I can finally get back to sane version numbers.
But any comments on which one is better:

a) Postfix-style: "1.1.UNSTABLE.YYYYMMDD" -> 1.1.0 (stable)

b) Odd-even numbering: 1.1.x (unstable) -> 1.2.0 (stable)

With a) style the releases could be done by simply copying a nightly
snapshot to releases/ directory and announcing the changes since the
last release. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

b) because it's more straightforward for package management systems, and most people use pre-packaged distributions.

Anyone who's building from source themselves ought to understand either method and/or read the INSTALL file which tells them about versioning. (Well, it doesn't now, but it would, right?)

Cheers,

John.