On 29.3.2007, at 22.50, Stewart Dean wrote:

...and what permissions should they have. I am thinking of /var/ run/dovecot and the index directory. What ownership, group and permissions should they be? Are there any other files/dirs created for dovecot alone (not the mail folders and INBOXes); if so, how should they be owned and permed? I had thought they were to be owned by dovecot, but it turns out that they should not

Dovecot opens pretty much all the configuration etc. files as root before dropping the privileges. So in general they could all be 0600 owned by root. I don't think you should worry about that though. /var/ run/dovecot usually gets deleted at boot and Dovecot recreates them, so whatever permission changes you do to it they'll get erased anyway. /var/lib/dovecot then is currently created 0700, but it only contains ssl-parameters.dat which is public data.