Timo Sirainen wrote:
On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 04:12 -0400, Steve Mulligan wrote:
I'm using the latest Thunderbird & Dovecot. I'm trying to setup either pop3s or imaps. The plain versions of the protocols both work fine for me, even with the TLS option selected in Thunderbird. But when I try to use the ssl versions, my client does not negotiate - it just time's out.

Since it might just as well be a Thunderbird configuration problem, try
with openssl directly:

openssl s_client -connect localhost:995

If it works, try remotely the same in case it's a firewall problem. If
that works too, it's just a Thunderbird problem.

Thanks Timo. It connects fine on localhost, but when I try from a remote machine, I get :

/C:\OpenSSL\bin>openssl s_client -connect pop.loftsoftware.ca:110
CONNECTED(000000FC)
/
Then there is a very long wait, 1-2 minutes.

/5696:error:140790E5:SSL routines:SSL23_WRITE:ssl handshake failure:.\ssl\s23_lib.c:188:
/
So I would say firewall problem BUT - it works fine when I switch the dovecot server and thunderbird client over to plain pop on the same port.

protocol pop3 {
  ssl_disable = no
  verbose_ssl = yes
  #listen = *:123
  #ssl_listen = *:110

I hope you've never actually tried to use this "ssl_listen = *:110"
setting? pop3s is in port 995.

Sadly yes, for now. I'm the only one using the pop server and I don't have control over opening my own ports to the outside world so I have been trying to get it working on 110. It should still work on 110 from a remote machine though, right?

Thanks,
Steve.