On 7.4.2007, at 3.11, guenther wrote:

However, I'd like to confirm what I see is how it is expected to work.
Since the Inbox with this layout is is part of the ~/.mail dir just like any other mbox file (or subdir), I am concerned with getting a "second"
Inbox mail folder in the client. I did not, which is great.

So, is this expected behavior, and the Inbox mbox file actually being
the Inbox and only the Inbox? Will it always be excluded from the list
of IMAP mail folders?

INBOX is actually always included in the list of IMAP folders. Dovecot anyway does all kinds of duplicate checking so it won't return the INBOX multiple times in any situation.