On Tuesday, May  8 at 08:02 AM, quoth Ray:
It seems like your right, as this command does work when I use port 143, but the following is a direct copy and paste from
http://wiki.dovecot.org/TestPop3Installation

# telnet your.host.org 110
1 login username password

Ummm... maybe it's changed since you saw it, but that's not what I see on that page.

The POP3 protocol (according to RFC 1939) supports only two forms of authentication: APOP and the USER/PASS mechanism (like you have below).

# telnet localhost 110
user username
pass password
So, I guess the next question becomes how come I can use
[that]
properly from any host, but a real client reports connection refused.
(kmail is the main one I've been using)

That's an excellent question. How do you have kmail configured? Can you use a packetsniffer to snoop on its conversation with the server?

~Kyle
--
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
                                          -- Sir Stephen Henry Roberts