On May 17, 2007, at 12:06 AM, Gavin Henry wrote:

<quote who="Bryan Vyhmeister">
Is anyone using LDAP along with Dovecot where mail is being accessed
in the form of /var/vmail/${domain}/${user}? I have not figured out
how to extract the domain from LDAP in order to make this work. I
know this is sparse information but maybe there is an easy fix. If
not, I can post more information.

What config have you tried?

Sorry, I should have given more detail. Right now, I have one server which is authenticating off of a passwd file from Dovecot. Postfix accesses Dovecot's auth socket interface for SMTP AUTH passwords and such. I use a virtual mailbox map and virtual alias map through Postfix to decide where to deliver mail. In Dovecot, I have mail_location set as follows:

mail_location = maildir:/var/vmail/domains/%d%n

That allows it to work fine for finding my mailboxes. I have tried the default Dovecot LDAP file but I am not sure I really understand how it all works. I guess this also involves picking a logical way to setup my LDAP structure as well.

I think I could make this work by making the LDAP uid [EMAIL PROTECTED] I don't think this is the best way of setting it up though. All of my users login with [EMAIL PROTECTED] and I want to keep it that way. It does not seem like LDAP was designed to authenticate this way quite as well.

Bryan