Joseba Torre writes:

there's no easy way to get rid of newbie problems: right now dovecot is quite a complex software

I tried Cyrus once, and have been working with Courier for nearly 2 years before I tried Dovecot. In my opinion Dovecot is much simpler than Cyrus, but perhaps more complex than Courier. However I found the dovecot documentation to be very helpfull.

The problem is how to make the documentation friendlier to people with little or no exprience managing a pop/imap server.
common configs:
- system users (using pam/passwd)
- ldap (with a common conf)
- mysql
- postgresql

Agree.
Having samples and sections for those different configurations will go a long way to help new users.