On 25.7.2007, at 16.35, pod wrote:

In lib-storage/index/maildir/maildir-storage.c
maildir_is_valid_create_name() and maildir_is_valid_existing_name() the
following sequence of tests appear but I don't really understand why

It's mostly there just to make sure that ~/ or ~user/ can't be used to open mailboxes where you weren't supposed to have access to. I didn't think anyone would really want to have mailboxes beginning with ~. Do you really want them? (I don't think they were possible with UW-IMAP either?)

Why is it not possible to have mailbox names that begin with '~' but
without '~' carrying any special meaning?

That's what the code does if you don't have mail_full_filesystem_access=yes, but I thought I'd prevent this in =no case just in case of a bug somewhere, possibly even outside of Dovecot itself.

I have been working on a patch (appended but incomplete; the option only works against maildir atm) that adds a new option mail_allow_tilde and my admittedly limited testing seems to indicate that it does the right thing but maybe I am barking up the wrong tree. Am I missing something here?

There are too many settings already. mail_full_filesystem_access=no should be enough for this.