Quoting Sean Kamath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

So. . . If you want tape backups, buy ArcServer and Netware because it doesn't work on Linux?

This is straying off the intended topic...

Whilst the whole rsync or other on-line solution is fine for those who want that, my solution was a little more direct: use dump

That's what I've always used too.

(ufsdump on Solaris). Don't use dump on Linux, it won't work (so says Linus: http://dump.sourceforge.net/isdumpdeprecated.html, except the links don't work. Sigh. I can't find the direct link.). At least not on live filesystems.

That's because he later retracted that statement.  Dump is as reliable
on linux as anywhere else.  Keypoint: dump isn't reliable on a live
filesystem; either unmount it or use snapshots to get a consistent dump.

Of course, you have to think about your backups. But I think it's a worthwhile investment to actually think about your backups, your rotation and retention schedule, and not just trust the vendor.

Agreed.

And realize that no one backup system works for everyone, or every setup.
You will have to think a bit to come up with a backup system that fits
your own needs and resources.

Sean

--
Eric Rostetter