On Feb 18, 2008, at 12:52 PM, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Charles Marcus wrote:

Marc Perkel, on 2/18/2008 11:28 AM, said the following:
I'm looking for a way to empty user's trash folder. Can message deletion or folder purging be scheduled?

It would be a nice feature in Dovecot to have it be able to remove messages older than say 3 days from Trash automatically.

V 1.1 already can (see Expire plug-in), but I'm not sure if this only happens at use3r log in or not...

http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Expire

Said I: (in the thread "Deleting messages from MailDir")
Does the expunge plugin work without the user logging in, though?

Timo responded:
Yes. That's exactly what it does. It keeps user/mailbox <-> oldest_msg mapping in a Berkeley DB. In a nightly (or whatever) run it then uses the database to open only those mailboxes that have messages to be expunged.

Excuse me but somebody, maybe me?, is confusing the expire plugin with the lazy_expunge plugin. From reading the fine documentation, it appears that...

1. There is no expunge plugin, only a lazy_expunge plugin
2. The lazy_expunge plugin runs "by itself" but requires a nightly cron job if you want to delete old mail. 3. There is an expire plugin which I believe the original poster was asking about 4. The expire plugin requires a nightly cron job to call /usr/libexec/ dovecot/expire-tool to do its thing

B. Bodger
New York, NY