Thank you so much that was it!
I just migrated from one server to another and that line did not made it in the new dovecot.conf file.

Well i need to use diff  more.
Thanks again

Jens Meyer schreef:
Hi!

I have a similar configuration - and run into the same problem before two weeks.

As I remember I expanded the following line in dovecot.conf:
-->
mechanisms = plain login
<--

It works for me and hopefully it is the correct solution (even if I am no dovecot-expert).

Kind regards,

     Jens

Johan Hendriks schrieb:
Hello all i have postfix running with dovecot-sasl and mysql as a backend.
It all runs good.

I run into trouble as where outlook 2003 fails to authenticate when sending e-mail.
I have thunderbird outlook2007 and 2003 clients.
The tunderbird and 2007 clients are working OK, the outlook2003 client get the relay access denied message.
In the postfix log i see it is not initiating sasl

they all use pop

i use dovecot 1.0.13
this is my posfix part of sasl

smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_exceptions_networks = $mynetworks
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
               permit_sasl_authenticated,
               reject_unauth_destination
               permit
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth

and this is my dovecot sasl part
# dovecot SASL
socket listen {
       client {
         # Assuming the default Postfix $queue_directory setting
         path = /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
         mode = 0660
         # Assuming the default Postfix user and group
         user = postfix
         group = postfix
       }
     }

Am i doing something wrong?
I guess if it is not configured right outlook 2007 and thunderbird will fail also!

regards,
Johan Hendriks