Asheesh Laroia wrote:
On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Andy Greenwood wrote:

I'm relatively new to Dovecot, but I really like what I'm seeing so far. I have one problem that I was hoping you could help me with though. I use Postfix for my mail server, then pass that on to procmail for filtering, and finally to deliver to put the mail in the appropriate Maildir folder. However, this isn't working. Postfix passes the mail to procmail correctly, but procmail is failing when it tries to call deliver. My system-wide procmailrc matches the lower one shown here: http://wiki.dovecot.org/procmail?highlight=%28procmail%29 which uses deliver.

My personal ~/.procmailrc is of similar format

Okay.

However, my procmail logs show this error message for every message that comes through:
Fatal: destination user parameter (-d user) not given

http://www.mail-archive.com/dovecot@dovecot.org/msg08468.html (-:

-- Asheesh.

Thanks so much Asheesh. The problem was indeed that procmail was running as root. Adding the dropprivs statement fixed it!