Timo Sirainen wrote:
On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 09:13 +0100, Xavier Beaudouin wrote:
Hello,

I have recently changed imap from Courier-imap to dovecot because of serial problems with courier-imap, I have being forced to do it very quickly... and without extensives tests.

I have 3 mails servers (freebsd based) behind a load balancer and a nfs mailstore on a netapp.

On my first tests I have setup the index into some nfs shared mount, but it seems that some imap clients are going mad when deleting files (mostly because they do open some new imap connection and the index was not clean) so I have changed index to memory.

This has fixed one of my problems.

Best solution would be to use v1.1 and its mail_nfs_*=yes settings. They
make Dovecot work very well with NFS.

We're using v1.1rc3 in production, with indexes on NFS, and performance has never been better. Before 1.1 we too had to use index=memory, which caused SORT on large (4k+ messages) mailboxes to take up to a minute. Now it takes 1-2 seconds.

-Rich