I could always fire up wireshark or something to try to figure out
what my client (Mulberry) is actually doing, but that still wouldn't
log the crasher..

The last sent command should be the one that causes the crash. Instead of
wireshark you could also use http://wiki.dovecot.org/Debugging/Rawlog
(works with SSL connections too).

Found out Mulberry has built-in logging, so I just used that.
http://trac.mulberrymail.com/mulberry/wiki/logging btw, in case it's useful.

I suspect the SORT command might be involved here, since just opening the mailbox didn't cause the crash. I'll send you a log copy off-list. If that doesn't do the trick, I can play around with Rawlog.

--
  Christer Mjellem Strand               yitzhaq