I'm trying to understand what dovecot's behavior will be in a given scenario to see if it will work as a (hopefully better) replacement for the home-grown pop3 server we currently use.

User A is on a slow dialup connection, and uses, oh, let's say Outlook, since that's where most of our problems seem to spring from. User A uses outlook to download his mail over pop3. Half way through downloading a particularly large message, Outlook decides that the whole process isn't happening fast enough, so it opens another connection to the server and tries to download (potentially) the same message again.

Now, our current server establishes a lock on the mailbox, and when that second connection happens it simply responds that there's no messages to collect... we used to have it terminate the connection, but this brings up confusing error messages on User A's client, and they call up and complain -- not an ideal situation.

I've got a dovecot installation on my testing server, and I think I've set everything up correctly; it authenticates from my LDAP database, finds the home directory, lists the mail, all that... I believe somewhere it there it uses fcntl to establish an advisory lock on the mailbox (oh, we're using Maildir, by the way).

I'm not sure where, though, or how long the lock persists for, or what its actual purpose is, because my tests show me that I can log the same users in with two concurrent sessions and get the same message twice. It's probably a fault in my understanding of how locking in user sessions of a pop3 server should work, but that doesn't sound right to me.

Can someone explain if what I'm seeing is correct, or what problem it may be symptomatic of? Does dovecot even do concurrent-user-session locking? So far I've enjoyed playing with dovecot -- far more than the current server we use. I'd like to use it as our primary pop3 server, but preventing users from having concurrent sessions and getting the same message more than once, and keeping them from seeing errors because of their client trying to open multiple sessions is important.

Oh, and I'm user dovecot 1.0.beta3, since I don't really have the option of upgrading the OS on my mail servers any time soon.

Adrian