on 8-20-2008 2:47 PM Kenneth Porter spake the following:
--On Wednesday, August 20, 2008 7:35 AM -0400 Blake Carver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I guess I'm not quite sure how to interpret this to help me figure out
my problem, there are changes rpm reports, does this mean that an RPM
was installed but so was a source package?

rpm -V -v dovecot
........ c /etc/dovecot.conf

This is a config file, as denoted by the "c". The row of dots means the file is pristine (hasn't been modified since it was installed).

S.5....T c /etc/rc.d/init.d/dovecot

This config file is different from the package. I don't recall what all the flags mean but the "5" means an MD5 checksum mismatch. As a rule, initscripts shouldn't be modified unless you're doing something tricky, so this was likely replaced from a tarball install.

prelink: /usr/libexec/dovecot/dict: at least one of file's
dependencies has changed since prelinking
S.?.....   /usr/libexec/dovecot/dict
prelink: /usr/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-auth: at least one of file's
dependencies has changed since prelinking
S.?.....   /usr/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-auth

All of these prelink errors suggest that your binaries were overwritten from a tarball installation. The easy fix is to erase ("rpm -e") the package and re-install it, likely upgrading to a newer package at the same time.
But a rpm install will not overwrite the tarball install since tarball installs usually go to /usr/local or under /opt while rpm installs will go into /usr directly. I don't know if the tarball has a make uninstall command, but the previous admin "should" have left the unpacked source around from the install somewhere in either /root or in his home directory. That can give more clues.

........ d /usr/share/doc/dovecot-1.0/REDHAT-FAQ.txt

"d" files are documentation, and if you're tight on disk space, you can suppress installation of documentation when the package is installed.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and