I copied a (tested) development config, made the appropriate changes, and it's now working again. I think there was a typo or stray character in the specification of the CONTROL directive as a result of a cut/paste.

Thanks for the tip on rawlog - it is very nice and will help in the future with confused clients/users.

---Jack