On Oct 20, 2008, at 7:08 PM, Sascha Wilde wrote:

I understand the idea now, but see above: we need the (userdb only)
checkpassword script to follow our rules anyway, so instead of doing
magic to the environment and checking for this in checkpassword- reply it
should be sufficient for the script to fail if AUTHORIZED wasn't set.

Or am I missing something?

The problem is that you said that AUTHORIZED is set automatically when userdb checkpassword script is called. So the script doesn't have to set it manually. That makes the script automatically work as userdb script (because AUTHORIZED is set automatically) and as passdb script (because AUTHORIZED isn't set automatically). That kind of breaks the idea.