On Oct 29, 2008, at 5:32 PM, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
What is the best way to do a (server-side) backup of all mail in a
user's mail?

I usually just rsync the /home directories to another server. The
inital sync
can take a while, but it gets faster after there is a base to work
from.

   ...and it's much less painful if you're using maildir instead of
mbox!

Not for rsyncing. Tons of small files means much slower rsync.

Due to connection turnaround latency, I assume? (I've never looked at the rsync protocol) If that's the case, then I stand very much corrected, thank you. I was going from the same logic regarding mbox vs. maildir in the context of backups. One new message delivered and a 400MB mail spool gets backed up again..

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL