In what header file are strtoumax and strtoimax declared? How are they declared? (grep -r strtoumax /usr/include) Perhaps you'd just need to link with some extra library to be able to use them.

They're not declared at all which was why I was puzzled at the positive check.

and/but I would like to know how to handle strtoimax.

If you're not using quota plugin you won't need it. If you're going to use quota plugin it would have to be implemented somehow..

Quota won't be used.  Any problem with just removing that section from compat.c?