Timo, you were correct. Apache's htpasswd version of MD5 does not interoperate with either CRYPT or MD5-CRYPT.

Vpopmail's vpasswd files *do* interoperate properly with either CRYPT or with MD5-CRYPT. Apparently I fat-fingered a copy and paste earlier when testing, hence my mistaken impression that the migrated hashes worked with CRYPT but not with MD5-CRYPT. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the help!

-J