Timo Sirainen wrote:
On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 16:35 -0500, Thomas Harold wrote:
What was it logging? I think it should have clearly said there about
permission errors.

Oh, all sorts of errors in /var/log/messages:

Jan 8 14:48:59 fvs-pri setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing access to files with the label, file_t. For complete SELinux messages.
  run sealert -l 8e0628b1-d30a-4390-8364-a899e0d1162b
..
My first inclination was to look at the dovecot-deliver.log file (per log_path or info_log_path). It wasn't until I went looking for SELinux errors that I discovered that it was a labeling problem.

That's what I meant, did Dovecot not log anything?

None that I could find. At 14:48, there's nothing in the dovecot-deliver.log file (set in the "protocol lda" section of our dovecot.conf).

But our logging section at the top of the dovecot.conf file is:

##
## Logging
##

# Log file to use for error messages, instead of sending them to syslog.
# /dev/stderr can be used to log into stderr.
#log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log

# Log file to use for informational and debug messages.
# Default is the same as log_path.
#info_log_path =

So I'm not sure that is configured correctly to actually log errors.

Currently running dovecot.x86_64 1:1.1.6-0_83.el5 from atrpms. We'll probably upgrade to 1.1.7 soon (a manual process for us since we're doing maildir delivery with separate userids and a setuid executable).