On Jan 29, 2009, at 1:17 PM, Mauricio López Riffo wrote:

        I have problems with dovecot + ldap + nfs, we could't have more than
20 concurrent sessions of pop3, when user 21 comes, the auth process takes more than 1 sec and is incresing (while most users arrives, more delay in autenticacion exists) and my customers complaint about the service. We need
support about 200 concurrents pop3 users, here is my details

Someone else was recently complaining about the same thing. Or was it you? Anyway, dovecot-auth doesn't know how many users are logged in so if the problem really is 21 *concurrent users* instead of n logins/ second, I find it highly unlikely that the problem is with authentication.

My guess is that this has something to do with NFS. Perhaps start Dovecot with strace -tt -f dovecot and then when it's slowing down see what syscall it says is blocking.