Frank Bonnet wrote:
Hello

I have this message repeated several times each *seconds* in /var/log/dovecot/dovecot.log

the max_mail_processes is set to 8192 and I can see an average of 500 imap processes
on the machine , I think there is a problem somewhere ...

Debian 64 bits , IBM X3650 biproc , 7 Gb RAM , RAID5 disks , 2 ethernet Gb ports bonded.

Dovecot 1.1.11 has been compiled from scratch on the machine

Thanks for any info.

Hi Frank,

Your system is plenty powerful - no issues there.

What are your settings in the init script? I found that putting in a ulimit -n 8192 and ulimit -f 16384 prior to invoking dovecot was worthwhile on my system.

I would first try tweaking these settings in a root shell and then invoke dovecot with a -c conf make sure it is picking up the right conf file.

I'm sure the list will ask for the dovecot -n -c ... output as well.

---Jack