So I guess I will take the problem to imapproxy group and find out if I can get
a clue to the issue I am facing.

BTW, just to confirm once again, are there any known issues with Dovecot &
imapproxyd? Because I find it strange that there should be around 8000
established connections between Squirrelmail and imapproxyd & around 400
connections between imapproxyd and Dovecot while on the mail server I see only
a couple of connections (typically around 40). Or is it some configuration in
Dovecot which is causing this kind of behavior, as I did not notice this while
running uw-imap.

Regards
V S Rao