Hi Timo,

Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 09:40:20 -0700
From: Timo Sirainen <t...@iki.fi>

On Jun 8, 2009, at 11:40 PM, Arno Wald wrote:

Timo Sirainen wrote:
Hmm. I suppose I could change Dovecot master so that if no imap/
pop3 processes have been created yet, it would silently ignore the
clock move.

Also it might be an idea to just restart dovecot instead of
completely stopping it. If this happens to often in a certain time
interval it still could be stopped to avoid too many restarts in a
loop if there is an error situation somehow.

http://wiki.dovecot.org/TimeMovedBackwards bottom answers this. A
restart isn't much better than just ignoring the time change.

But really, all this leads is that admin has to detect the dovecot termination and simply go and restart it manually -- after some bad thoughts. I think that a config option to restart silently (or simply kill all connected imap/pop3 instances) would be quite reasonable. Basically it is the only thing I don't like in Dovecot... and was even planning to hack the time check out of the code =))

Best wishes
Eugene