On Jun 9, 2009, at 6:40 AM, Jonathan Siegle wrote:

But of course there are no problems (well, some very rare random ones
maybe) having multiple processes accessing the same mailbox on the same server. Ever since I wrote my imaptest tool (a few years ago?) I've been heavily stress testing multiple connections modifying the mailbox at the
same time.

Timo,
        Can you tell me what platform/filesystem you use for testing?

Linux/ext3 mainly. I also use Solaris/ufs for my own mails. Once in a while I also try OS X/HFS+.

Oh and can you hint at what "bad things" may happen when I get the error "record points outside file"?

When you get that error it's not that bad. Dovecot just deletes the cache file which can cause small slowdowns. More problematic is when there's a corruption that Dovecot doesn't detect and sends garbage to client.