Am 01.07.2009 um 16:05 schrieb Mauricio Tavares:

My testing indicated that happened after postfix passed the email to
dovecot lda (I guess that virtual_transport = dovecot means it goes to
master.cf and looks for the dovecot entry and then passes the message
to it). That would mean postfix is not using vmaps to see if the user
exists anymore. Instead, it is delegating checking if a user exists to
dovecot, which is not what I want to do. I want postfix to worry about
getting mail and making sure the recipient exists. Out of the blue, if
I replaced the virtual_mailbox entry with local_transport = dovecot,
or nothing at all, mail is delivered as it should.

My gut feeling is the master.cf dovecot entry is responsible for the
problem, but I am not sure because I really do not know everything
that is going on there; this is the first time I venture in that file.

So, could anyone shed some light on what is causing the problem? Thanks!

If you use the Dovecot LDA, the delivery is completely handled by Dovecot once the message is passed to the Agent. This means the maildir location needs to be parsed by Dovecot, either by a static userdb or entries in your userdb/passwd files.

Thomas