Steffen Kaiser wrote:

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009, Ed W wrote:

per host (current situation is rather difficult... I'm using a cert with multiple names on it, but this is hard to buy)

What expieriences do you have on client-side with those certs?

I tried a two-name cert three years ago, but had to withdraw it. Not a single client accepted the cert - if I remember correctly.

Erm, I use the godaddy certs multiple domain certs (cheap...) and I certainly use this ok in Apple mail and Thunderbird. I *thought* I had tried on Outlook/Outlook Express, but I might be mistaken?

I have seen people saying these certs work ok on the windows handheld devices, so if windows stuff supports them then things are looking up! My Nokia N97 isn't throwing up any complaints using starttls either.

Possibly we are talking cross purposes though - connect to mail.mailasail.com and examine the cert there and if you wish I can give you an account on there to try from various clients? (erk, better go check my cert hasn't expired now I told you to look...).

Good luck

Ed W