On Aug 28, 2009, at 9:10 PM, Adam McDougall wrote:

From Dovecot's side the only thing you can do is fsync_disable=yes. The main problem is probably network latency, because Outlook doesn't support MULTIAPPEND extension (and perhaps not even LITERAL + extension?) Did you already try running Dovecot on the same computer as Outlook (some virtual thingy or maybe it works in cygwin)?

I just tried fsync_disable=yes but with NFS and had to turn off mail_nfs_index = yes as well but the speed was the same. Do you think it would be different with a UFS or ZFS backend with fsync_disable?

Could be. NFS clients typically wait for NFS server to reply to writes before continuing. I think it "async" mount option might disable that, but I'm not sure.