Yes. Be sure to check your rsync version.

As I recall the 2.x series has bugs related to this.

I had a similar problem on MacOS until I upgraded to 3.0.6 and all
is well with ':' on MacOS & Ubuntu at this level.

Robert Schetterer wrote:
Ed W schrieb:
Scott Murman wrote:
i'm trying to backup the dovecot Maildir files over a cifs share. source is a debian build, share is a readynas. i've been getting
rsync: mkstemp 'filename goes here' failed: Not a directory (20)
errors.   rsync is v3.0.   i believe this is related to the dovecot
file naming convention that includes characters such as ':' in the
filename.   anyone else seeing similar behavior?  a workaround?   i
can go to different backup strategies, but rsync is cheap and
effective for my needs.  thanks,

Is backup over ssh an option?

Alternatively could you run an rsync server at one end or the other
(which then also avoids using cifs in the middle)?

Ed W

i ll do backups with rsync on maildirs with courier
( which has also : in filenames )
without any problems, as well i backup whole machines
including sockets etc without any problems
so the problem cant be dovecot here
check your rsync version and script i would guess, maybe cifs has
problems ..., use ssh ,ftp, nfs etc instead, or backup rsync in a local
dir first then tar it followed by copy over cifs just one tar file

--
Love feeling your best ever, all day, every day?
Click http://RadicalHealth.com for the easy way!