We've thought about enabling IP-based session affinity on the load
balancer,

Brandon, I just thought of something. Have you always been running without IP affinity across all your connections? We've always had it turned on because we were under the impression that certain clients like Outlook had major issues without it. Basically, as the client spawns new connections and they go to other servers rather than the same one the client begins to fight itself. IP affinity always seemed like a more stable option, but if you've been running without it for a long time, maybe it's not such a problem after all. Anyway, what has you experience been?

--
David Halik