On Feb 10, 2010, at 6:08 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 13:57 +0000, Stephen Usher wrote:
I've written a program, which is run by cron once a minute, which searches for messages within all the users' inboxes and then hard-links them into a backup store elsewhere on the disk. Then, once a day a reaper process runs which checks for all files in that store with only one link and have not been accessed for a set amount of time (in our case 90 days) and then deletes those files. In other words, the messages are kept for 90 days after they have been deleted or moved
out of the user's inbox.

http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Lazyexpunge also does pretty much that,
although for all mailboxes, not just for INBOX. And it doesn't
automatically expire them.

There's also rsnapshot which I've been using for hardlinked, incremental backups for a couple years now. Very flexible and has saved us a couple times.

<http://www.rsnapshot.org>

-Terry

Terry Barnum
digital OutPost