Mark Sapiro wrote:
On 11:59 AM, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
I want to have a valid username/password for an account for sending
purposes - but when receiving this is an alias that broadcasts to
several users.

Example:  accountspaya...@mydomain.com - is an alias for
j...@mydomain.com, j...@mydomain.com, and j...@mydomain.com.  However -
any mails sent (from a particular client software) should all only show
"accountspayable" as the sender.

How would I implement this?  I'm asking here because Dovecot serves as
the authentication mechanism for my SMTP server (Postfix) via LDAP lookups.

I would do this with a Mailman mailing list (of course I'm a Mailman
developer, and as they say, when your only tool is a hammer, everything
looks like a nail - YMMV)

If you had Mailman installed you just set up your
accountspaya...@mydomain.com list as a Mailman 'anonymous' list. Then
any mail to accountspaya...@mydomain.com is distributed to the list
members From: accountspaya...@mydomain.com.
Thanks - but that wasn't my question. I already have the distribution side solved via simple alias expansion. The question is - and I'm probably overthinking this as usual - can I setup a user account for SMTP authentication purposes, which does not let me log in for IMAP/POP3 use?

--
Daniel