Timo Sirainen wrote:
Well, clients can become confused a bit too easily. Try talking IMAP
protocol directly: http://wiki.dovecot.org/TestInstallation

After logging in, the important commands to try would be:

a LIST "" *
b LSUB "" *
c SELECT mail-Archive/something-that-actually-exists
d SUBSCRIBE mail-Archive/something-that-actually-exists

Where does it fail?
Ok, we're getting closer. It failed when selecting a mailbox, permission denied. And I figured out why ... for some reason when the user was cloned from the old server to this one, their -x bit didn't stick for that mail-Archives/ folder. Now that that's fixed, I *can* see and *can* subscribe to the individual mailboxes within any of the archived folders.

But, there's a big difference between how Thunderbird sees things and what Outlook sees, and I'm almost certain it's a problem with the client:

Thunderbird will see exactly what I have subscribed to, stuff in mail/ and stuff in mail-Archives/. Outlook will *not* see mail/, at all. And it *will* see *everything* that's in mail-Archives/, whether I'm subscribed to it or not, it shows up. That's ... kind of annoying to say the least.