On Feb 25, 2010, at 9:42 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On 26.2.2010, at 3.50, Terry Barnum wrote:
>
>> I looked at the wiki on dbox but shied away from it because the
>> compatibility matrix said postfix didn't like it. Did I read that wrong?
>
> You need to be delivering mails with Dovecot LDA when using dbox. And that
> might help improve performance even when you're using maildir.

Thank you Timo. Sorry, my newbie misunderstanding of postfix and dovecot. I
think I now understand the compatibility matrix to mean that postfix doesn't
work with dbox or mdbox formats natively, it must use dovecot.

> With v2.0+ mdbox will probably work very nicely. dbox (with v1.x or v2.0)
> still uses one file/message and I guess if you had trouble with 5k+ messages
> in a mailbox with Maildir, you'll probably hit the same slowness with dbox.

The 500MB+, 5k+ message problem is with another mailserver not running
postfix/dovecot. It's the reason I've started investigating postfix with your
software and so far I"m very happy.

Thanks,
-Terry