> Yes, it allows submit.domain.org to use plaintext for all authentications.
> But typically your submit server wouldn't be trying to authenticate as
> anything else as the submit user, I think?

> In v1.2 you could also do something similar to this by adding the submit
> server's IP to login_trusted_networks.

A well-behaved submission server will only authenticate as a submit user.  But
the intent is to "open the door" as little as possible.  If the administrator
of the IMAP server disables plain text auth, it's safer to weaken that only for
submit user(s) than for an entire network.  Anyone on that network would be
able to use plain text auth for any user.

Consider that the submission server and the IMAP server may be unrelated, under
completely different administrative domains.  Separate departments of a school
or business, for instance, or even different schools or businesses.  You would
want to allow submit users from any network to connect (securely) and
authenticate.  But the authentication must be plain-text for submit user(s)
even when regular users are forbidden from using it.  RFC 4468 section 3.3
requires it:
Specifically, this requires that the submit server implement a
configuration that uses STARTTLS followed by SASL PLAIN [SASL-PLAIN] to
authenticate to the IMAP server.