Ed W wrote:
How are you backing up to S3? Most of the options I have seen have some serious issues that limit reliable full backups? Its been on my todo list for some time now to fix the C s3fs implementation that you find here: http://code.google.com/p/s3fs/ - code is shocking and could easily be fixed up pretty well...

http://s3tools.org/ - seems maintained, but not used it?

Brackup seems excellent, but has only an initial patch to support backing up user permissions, so at this stage seems more useful for data files than a whole system backup?

Also you have the option of cheap hosting through the likes of say Dreamhost or Kimsufi
    http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/ks/
£15/month for a single machine with a single 250GB (non backed up) disk. Twice that price can get you multiple TB disks. Use this plus rsync?

Not really sure where the sweet spot is here, but unsure what S3 really buys us?

I would imagine it would be some variation on dumping databases, making tarballs, chopping up into <5GB pieces and then uploading them with s3cmd (s3tools.org).

Over and above rented server storage, S3 should provide multi-site redundancy (coverage against a plane making an unscheduled landing into the data centre).

Bill