On 17.7.2010, at 0.07, Brandon Lamb wrote:

>> sdbox is really simple. mdbox is more complex. A few people have used sdbox
>> with v1.x, but it's more or less rewritten with v2.0. With v2.0 I'm not
>> aware of any sdbox installations, but there is at least one somewhat large
>> mdbox installation. They've had some problems, but I think those are mostly
>> gone now.
>
> Any recommendation of one over the other?

Depends on the filesystem and disks I guess. mdbox should reduce mailbox
fragmentation because it uses larger files. But maybe with SSDs that doesn't
matter and the extra metadata just slows down. Or maybe not. I don't have any
real world benchmarks.

> I came across a 2009 mailing
> list entry where you showed some benchmark tests that had mdbox as the
> fastest.

They were benchmarks of some unrealistic tests.

> Without any experience yet, my only possible hangup is being
> able to restore individual (lost, whatever other reason) mails for
> customers.

This is more difficult with sdbox and mdbox than with maildir. I haven't really
thought about this before. I guess with both you could get the one file (or the
entire mailbox, either way) and then force a index rebuild and then
copy/extract the mail in some way (e.g. doveadm fetch, imap client, etc).

>> dsync is awesome and preserves everything. But test it anyway just in case.
>> I'd anyway recommend setting pop3_save_uidl=yes and sometimes after that
>> (when you think everyone's logged in at least once) switching to
>> pop3_uidl_format=%g while still running maildir. With Maildir the new UIDLs
>> are then the filenames and with dbox the UIDLs will be message GUIDs. Those
>> are much more permanent than anything based on IMAP UIDs. Not a requirement,
>> but still :)
>
> Cool, if anything I could just have a script login to every users
> account and logout and that would do the same thing right?

That's all.

> Any main/major/big reasons to try to go with mdbox over sdbox? sdbox
> being really simple = less prone to typos and other bad things
> happening?

There is much less potential for mailbox corruption with sdbox, since it's so
much simpler.

> Oh, what about if i migrate to sdbox, then decide to go with mdbox,
> will I want to know for sure ahead of time? Granted I guess thats kind
> of an obvious yes, but any big gotchas to know about if I did?

You can use dsync to easily switch between them.