On 8/16/2010 4:11 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:
On 2010-08-15 12:03 PM, Marc Perkel<m...@perkel.com>  wrote:
Starting Dovecot Imap: Fatal: service(pop3-login) User doesn't
exist: dovenull

Just some real time feedback. I don't know what dovenull user is or
why it is necessary.
It would be a lot smoother (and this probably applies to all other
software you use) if you would spend at least 5 SECONDS doing a little
research before wasting everyone's (especially Timo's) time with
questions that you can easily answer yourself:

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=dovenull

For dovecot stuff, I've found that simply adding the word 'wiki' after
the other search term will almost always provide the link to the wiki
page describing whatever it is:

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=dovenull+wiki

Yes, this is a pet peeve of mine...

Timo's software standards, and mine, are higher than the average open source project. When an install id done right then you don't have to go to the wiki for anything. You run it and it just works. That's why people pay for Windows and Macs and more people use it than Linux because it just works. You start an upgrade anf click NEXT AGREE NEXT NEXT NEXT FINISH and everything just works. That's the way Linux should be.

So - even though something might be a minor detail, when you get the minor details right then you get software the "it just works" which is in my opinion the highest thing one can say about a program. And it's who dovecot is so popular.