On 08/26/2010 09:38 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
On 27.8.2010, at 2.24, Michael Orlitzky wrote:

Have a utility that updates all (or a subset) of them.

That won't be necessary. Once the hash changes, the new files
are created with new hash function and it doesn't matter if the
old hash is broken because you can't generate new files with it
anymore anyway.

Won't files hashed with the old function begin to dupe though?

You mean new hash would become a duplicate of the old? Well ..

1) It's highly unlikely to happen, especially because with the new
hash function there again shouldn't be a way to create any specific
hash.

Oh, no, that's not what I meant.

I mean, my friend sends me a video of two cats cuddling, and it gets MD5 hashed and stored somewhere (it's the first instance of that file in my SIS). Tomorrow, I read the newspaper from 2005 explaining how MD5 is broken, and decide to switch my hash function to MD4 for safety reasons. A week later, another friend sends me the same video (it's REALLY cute). Doesn't the video get stored again?