On 1/20/11 11:49 PM -0600 Stan Hoeppner wrote:
Frank Cusack put forth on 1/20/2011 2:30 PM:
On 1/20/11 12:06 AM -0600 Stan Hoeppner wrote:
 This is amusing considering XFS is hands down
the best filesystem available on any platform, including ZFS.  Others
are simply ignorant and repeat what they've heard without looking for
current information.

Your pronouncement that others are simply ignorant is telling.

So is your intentionally quoting me out of context.

Not at all.  Your statement about ignorance has no context required.

The "ignorant" are those who blindly accept the false words of others
regarding 4+ year old "XFS corruption on power fail" as being true today.
They accept but without verification.  Hence the "rumor" persists in many
places.

Indeed, those folks are more than ignorant, they are in fact idiots.
(Ignorant meaning simply unaware.)

"In my desire to be brief I didn't fully/correctly explain how delayed
logging works.  I attempted a simplified explanation that I thought most
would understand.  Here is the design document:

Early performance numbers:
http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2010-05/msg00329.html";

Note the double URL paste error?  Frank?  Why did you twist an honest
mistake into something it's not?  Here's the correct link:

Wow so you are basically an asshole as well as arrogant.

Stop being an ass.  Or get off yours and Google instead of requiring me
to spoon feed you.

LOL that actually made me laugh, thanks.

This is guaranteed to lose data on power loss or drive failure.

On power loss, on a busy system, yes.  Due to a single drive failure?
That's totally incorrect.  How are you coming to that conclusion?

Why don't you re-read the design.  I'm not going to spoon feed you.

Performance always has a trade off.  The key here is that the filesystem
isn't corrupted due to this metadata loss.  Solaris with ZFS has the same
issues.  One can't pipeline anything in a block device queue and not have
some data loss on power failure, period.  If one syncs every write then
you have no performance. Solaris and ZFS included.

You might want to get current on ZFS as well.