As far as I have been able to figure out, dovecot auth always works over a Unix domain socket. I believe it is not currently possible to operate dovecot auth over an Internet domain (TCP) socket. Am I correct?

I want to call dovecot's exported authentication from a Java application. Java doesn't natively know how to talk to a Unix domain socket, so there are inconveniences. There are 3rd party JNI libraries to allow Java to do it, but I'm not too wild about the idea of using JNI. My current thinking is to rig up some kind of proxy/shuttle arrangement between a localhost TCP port and the dovecot auth Unix domain socket in the filesystem. I'm looking at using the more or less standard tool "socat" to do that. ('m on a mainstream Linux distribution.)

Has anyone else confronted and solved this problem? Do tell us the details .... :-)

TIA!